Pre-conference Certificate Course
In conjunction with ACSM
June 27 - 28, 2017 (Tuesday - Wednesday)
Extend your learning – attend our 2-day pre-conference certificate course geared toward the practicing professional.
The Essentials of Performing Arts Medicine is a two day multidisciplinary enrichment course offered by the PAMA education committee. Designed to match the professional interests and career goals of both clinicians and educators new to performing arts medicine, this course will showcase the music and dance communities through a behavioral and social science perspective while highlighting specific opportunities and techniques for engagement, education, prevention, and treatment in response to various arts-specific health concerns. Collectively, participants will hear introductory and research-based lectures on associated risk factors, life-span issues, and the interactive, cultural, and contextual distinctions of health problems that are unique to performing artists.
At the end of this course, the Health Professional will be able to:
- Discuss occupation-specific questions that should be asked during the initial interview with performing artists to identify key injury causes.
- Identify basic physical elements of performance on common instruments.
- Apply key special assessment procedures that are useful when evaluating musicians and dancers.
- Establish goal-oriented and evidence-based treatment approaches, taking into account the specific priorities of the musician and dancer patient.
- Assess basic requirements of the occupational environment of the musician or dancer.
- Implement functional return to performance protocols.
- Describe preventive approaches to medical problems of musicians and dancers.
- General Health and Wellness for Performing Artists
- Neuro-musculoskeletal Injuries in Musicians.
- Common Musculoskeletal Injuries in Dancers
- Biomechanics applied to music and dance technique
- General Fitness, Conditioning and Rehabilitation
- Medical Conditions in Performing Arts Medicine
- Environmental Concerns in Performing Arts Medicine
- Hearing Health
- Vocal Healthcare
- Performance Anxiety and Psychological conditions.
- Special Conditions found in Musicians, Focal Dystonia
- Nutritional Issues in Dance Medicine
- Dancer.Instrumentalist.Vocalist.Actor (D.I.V.A.) pre-participation assessment and physical evaluation
The target audience includes clinicians, dance and music educators, and other healthcare professionals interested in learning the essential information needed to provide initial assessment, treatment, referrals and general educational recommendations for the performing artist. (Includes: physicians, physician assistants, nurses, athletic trainers, physical and occupational therapists, other healthcare professionals, dance and music educators.)
At the completion of the pre-conference course, MDs/DOs will have the option of taking the exam. If a passing grade is attained, they will be given a certificate of completion. All other registrants will be provided with certificates of participation.